Saturday, March 11, 2006

Paradise by the Dashboard Lights

Well, yesterday felt like a very nice day as an individual investor. The dashboard on my computer showed almost all green - 3 out of 4 of my positions were in the green yesterday. Not too unusual given the rise in the S&P500, Dow Jones Industrial, and my "home" index, the Canadian S&P/TSX 60.

I felt like the motorist who thinks God has decided to favor him that day - all green lights all the way to his destination.

(Which reminds me of a joke about the desperate Irishman, Paddy, late for an appointment and looking for parking space. "God, if you give me a space, I'll never miss a Sunday service again."

Miraculously, one appears. Paddy looks up to the heavens and says "Oh, never mind, I just found one.")

While not every day is going to be like that, it's nice to have them once in a while and they are definitely enriching to a portfolio if they happen often enough.

However, I fully expect that Monday will be a down day - not for any particular reason, except that when the market has good (poor) gains one day, the next is mostly likely to have poor (good) gains. That's just the nature of the beast.

Knowing this, and being mentally and emotionally ready for it, makes me less susceptible to doing foolish things with my various positions and reviewing them in a more methodical way from time to time.

Get out and enjoy the sunshine today (if it's like where I am) or go for a short walk. Just a couple of thoughts for the weekend - enjoy yours!


JW

The Confused Capitalist

Support this blog and our advertisers: check out the advertised listings.

No comments: