Friday, February 24, 2006

Who is The Confused Capitalist

Why do I call this site “The Confused Capitalist”?

First of all, because I thought it was a catchy title and one that’s relatively easy to remember. It’s certainly not because I’m confused about the massive positive roll that capitalism plays in the world today. I kind of think about it like my grandmother (who escaped the grips of communist Russia, back in the 1920s) once told me, “Capitalism is the worst system in the world, except for all the others”.

What she was saying was while capitalism has its’ flaws, it actually works better than all the other economic systems that have been devised to date. However, unbridled capitalism, without some consideration of social equality is, in my opinion, doomed to failure. We all need to consider others, to help “raise the median”, and the most primary way to do this is through payment of our taxes, so that we can help educate our youngsters and keep them out of trouble, aid our older folks, protect our citizens and, also, try to rehabilitate those fail us.

Unbridled capitalism, without some consideration of others through taxes, simply becomes selfish greed. And given the demonstrable benefits of living in a society based on cooperation, I imagine that a society based solely on selfish greed isn’t a place most of us would like to live. So perhaps we shouldn’t moan about paying our taxes quite so much, or so often.

Here’s what a famous Republican had to say about taxes:

“I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilization.”

- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Besides, let’s face it – most of us occupy an enviable position in the world – three-quarters of the worlds’ population would undoubtedly trade places with us in a heartbeat.

That’s my point of view – what’s yours?

JW

The Confused Capitalist






No comments: